Friday, August 28, 2009

blind spots

One of the classes I attended at BYU Education Week was taught by Hank Smith. He is a friend of mine who teaches at Copper Hills seminary. He is absolutely laugh-out-loud-until-you-cry hilarious!

Anyways, Tuesday's class dealt with marriages but could be applied to any relationship. He called it "Motes, Beams, and Marriages" based on Matthew 7:3 and Luke 6:41. Basically, there are 4 areas:

Known to self and known to others = ARENA
Known to self and unknown to others = FACADE
Unknown to self and unknown to others = UNKNOWN (potential)
Unknown to self and known to others = BLIND SPOT

Most problems come from our blind spots! We don't always consider that we are the problem or our actions are the problem because we can't see ourselves clearly.

To reduce our blind spot (and therefore reduce problems), we should:

1) closely examine ourselves first
2) ask trusted individuals to reveal our blind spots to us
3) listen to the Spirit

It was recorded about the Prophet Joseph Smith that when he received untrue criticism (and we know he received a lot of that), he would carefully review his actions to see if anything (even unconciously done) could have contributed to that criticism. If he found some basis, he would go to the person and thank them for showing him a weakness he didn't know he possessed.

That takes courage! Sometimes I feel like I'm so full of imperfections that I know about that I don't need anyone to point out any more! I don't often want to know that I'm the cause of my own problems. Still, it's good advice and I know I'd do well to take it.

"Lord, is it I?" (Matthew 26:22)

2 comments:

  1. Guess who won the Fraiche Give Away..YOU! Email me at screweduptexan AT gmail DOT com to claim your products.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like it would have been a GREAT class. Such gems of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete