Monday, August 3, 2009

"bad-boy" Alec

Okay, maybe my neighbor was onto something yesterday when he complained about Alec. After all, I opened the newspaper this morning to find the list of the top ten "bad-boy" baby names. Guess which name is included?

You got it! It's Alec. Who knew?

I apparently cursed the kid just by naming him a bad-boy name! What was I thinking?

I was so careful to make sure my children's names couldn't be shortened into embarrassing nicknames so they wouldn't receive playground taunts. I even checked their initials to ensure they didn't unintentionally spell out something hideous. I made sure my boys names were masculine and my girls names were feminine so the teacher would always at least know what sex they were when calling roll.

Yet, somehow, in the midst of all this carefulness, I missed the fact that Alec is associated with "bad-boy-dom". What do the scriptures say? Something about the sins of the children being on the heads of the parents if they name them incorrectly and end up cursing them for life?

Sorry, Alec!

3 comments:

  1. I would love to see the list of bad boy names, if it makes you feel better I have never personally included Alec on the list of bad boy names. Someone once told every Dylan they had ever meet had Adhd, I just like to think it was luck of the draw though, not my bad name picking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's the top-ten bad-boy names in alphabetical order: Alec, Ernest, Garland, Ivan, Kareem, Luke, Malcolm, Preston, Tyrell, and Walter.

    Personally, I think anyone who names their son Ernest or Garland is asking for trouble! Isn't a Garland a decoration?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so funny that his name is on the list. I will have to make sure my future son isn't named Kareem or Garland :)

    ReplyDelete