Monday, August 10, 2009

neighbor love

Okay, yesterday's post was a tribute to the wonderful world wide web! Today's is a tribute to my awesome neighbors!

I have lived in the same home for a little over 17 years. Five of the seven neighbors in my circle have been here even longer (and they're all older). Over the years they have been so helpful and kind! They have provided gardening and yard advice (Kevin and I do not have green thumbs). They have allowed our children to jump on their trampoline. They have shared garden produce. They have even taken our children fishing. Their children rode bikes to school with mine when mine were too young to ride along. They all drive around Alec when he decides to lie in the middle of the street (but that is a whole other post). You get the picture.

This morning I was baking cookies and was on the phone with my sister, Dawnette, when Chandler ran in to tell me that the front yard was flooding. I looked out and sure enough, the secondary water system was leaking water everywhere. I told Chanlder to shut off the water. He couldn't. I sent McKayla out to turn it off. I think she turned one handle but not the other so the water was still running. I said I'll go do it as soon as I'm off the phone. (Of course, Kevin is on a flight and won't be back until 10 pm - no help there.) I wasn't really sure about what to do.

I got off the phone and headed to the door but my neighbor, Keith, was already on his knees and up to his elbow in water shutting off the valve. Then he said, "As soon as the water has subsided, I'll be back to see what the problem is."

I could go on and on and on telling my great "circle neighbor" stories but suffice it to say that I thank God that I have such awesome neighbors!

2 comments:

  1. I am glad Keith was thier to help, flooding can be scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of the joys of living in a circle. you do have great neighbors!! Every time the wind blows we have shingles all over the yard. I don't think my neighbors are paying attention.:)
    Karen

    ReplyDelete