Thursday, August 27, 2009

high school social groups

The book club I belong to met last night to discuss "Stargirl" by Jerry Spinelli. It was a wonderful, touching book! I loved the story, I delighted in the characters, and I enjoyed the writing style. I also really enjoyed our discussion.

The book discussion led to a discussion on where we fit in high school. I really didn't "fit in". My high school was small (500 students in a 10-12 high school). We had the normal groups - jocks, popular, nerds, brains, druggies, cowboys (okay, maybe that last one is more of a Wyoming thing). I got along well with everyone but didn't really identify with any one particular group.

I was definitely NOT a druggie, cowboy or nerd! I was not really a jock (unless you count sitting on the bench or pep club). I had the grades of a brain and was a member of National Honor Society but I didn't have to study so I spent NO time in the library. I was not one of the "popular" group although I talked to all of them and we were friendly to each other.

I didn't dress particularly well (combination of no money and being a size 9 in high school!). I was well-liked enough to be voted queen of the Winter Formal my senior year but not well enough to even have a date to my junior prom.

However, I wasn't the only one. I had a group of friends who were all in pretty much the same category as me. We were known by everyone, liked well enough by everyone, but couldn't be categorized. We were just the ordinary, run-of-the-mill students.

Shouldn't there be a category for such people?

No comments:

Post a Comment