Sunday, August 2, 2009

never-ending blessings of service

This morning was a little rough. A little bit before we left for church a neighbor, whom I don't know well, came to my home to complain about Alec. Alec had upset him and his wife and the neighbor said if Alec did it again they'd call the police. I apologized but the man remained angry.

I was quite upset. It's embarrassing and it's scary. It is also a little maddening because I wanted to scream at the man to give Alec a break. After all, he has Down syndrome and autism. He doesn't mean any harm.

I talked to Alec and explained why he couldn't do what he did. Then I listened to Alec yell at himself and cry in the 10 minutes before we left for church. I walked out the door with a very heavy heart thinking "how in the world am I going to get the Spirit back into my life today so that I can enjoy church?"

I climbed in the suburban and it was out of gas (and we're supposed to make the 1 hour trip to Tooele and back again tonight). I got to church and only one other leader/teacher showed up for the teacher training class that I had prepared for so we cancelled it (what a waste of my time and preparation!). It was NOT being a good day.

Then Carolyn gave the YW combined lesson on service. My mind was flooded with memories of services that I have been the recipient of and, in turn, my heart was flooded with the Spirit of God.

Who knew that services I received even years ago would come back to heal my heart and mend my troubled spirit?

I walked into Sacrament meeting only to watch one of the other Priests help Alec tear the bread and I was overcome with emotion at the tender mercies of the Lord. Using the hands of others, God helped me see that His hand is in all things and that He loves me and is mindful of me. If I just look, I can see God's tender mercies in all the many acts of service that I receive daily and the memories of those acts of service can buoy me in times of need.

3 comments:

  1. Isn't it interesting how whenever we are having a "low", we read, hear, or witness something that totally lifts our spirit? I know when I have been going through various rough patches, I will read a passage or my mom will say something and it will just change my whole perspective. I am glad you were able to turn your day around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing today in church it touched my heart along with many others. Alec is a package of total joy to all those who take the time to truely see him and get to know him. We all love Alec.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband had stopped by Sat. night to check on your car. I set in the car and watched Alec, with what I guess now was the neighbor who complained. I wish I would have acted on my instinct. Something about the situation made me uncomfortable. I am sorry it turned out bad, Alec has something to offer, those who don't see it are missing out. He is an essential part of our neighborhood. He has so much to teach us. My heart always feels a tug of joy as I see him so, innocent, and free with those he loves. I am sorry, I hate (HATE HATE HATE) it when people come to complain about my children, nothing makes me feel worse. LOVE YOU MARVELE ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete