Thursday, July 23, 2009

Yuba Lake camping trip

I DID IT!


It's true! I finally learned how! I am quite proud of myself. Yes, I FINALLY learned how to back the waverunner trailer into the water. This may sound like a small accomplishment but I have been unable to master this skill for years, so I am excited!

Years ago we owned a 28-foot camping trailer. I would tow it with no problem but I only backed it up once. I had to since I'd taken a wrong turn. Otherwise, I camped in sites where I could pull-through or I'd get someone else to back it for me.

Last summer we got waverunners. They are so much fun, but there is no way to avoid backing them up. hhhmmmm... I took them out without Kevin a few times. It would either take me forever to get them into the water (and they were usually horribly crooked) or some guy would take pity on me and my pathetic attempts and would come do it for me.

Every guy would tell me the same thing. Hold the steering wheel at the bottom and turn the way you want the wheels to go. I knew that! I just couldn't seem to make it work.

My friend, Jill, and I just spent the last 3 days at Yuba Lake. Monday morning I managed to get the waverunners into the water (the trailer was quite crooked). Monday night when I went to get them out, a man watched me try and then came and did it for me (after telling me to hold the steering wheel at the bottom, of course).

Tuesday morning I went to back them in and a lady was watching. I rolled down my window, laughed, and said "I'll give you quite a show." She watched me for a minute and then said, "You're just not catching it quick enough. Try turning earlier."

BINGO!

Seriously, that is all it took! From then on, I backed in and out with no trouble.

It made me think. Quite often I think it is a tendency for men to want to take care of the problem. They usually just "rescued" me. It took a woman who was willing to sit back and analyze what I was doing wrong to just give me the advice I needed so I could do it myself.

I know it's not just a guy thing. I often do the same thing to people. I get impatient and fix the problem myself. I take over and do it.

I learned a valuable lesson that I hope I can remember. Sometimes it is far wiser and infinitely more helpful to patiently observe and then offer sound advice!

1 comment:

  1. I hate towing or backing the trailer. When we bought the big brown bus my husband actually thought I was going to make it my daily driver. I have never drove it once, and I would like to keep it that way.

    ReplyDelete