Saturday, July 25, 2009

my funeral

Several years ago I urged all of my extended family members to do a little funeral planning. I gave everyone forms and asked them to fill them out (my aunt got hers back to me -- way to go, Vicki!). It detailed who they wanted notified of their demise, who to speak at the funeral, what songs to sing, where important documents were kept, who was to be pallbearers, etc.

I filled out my plan but came across it the other day and, of course, it's already outdated.

A few things remain constant.

1) I'd like lots and lots of music! Congregational hymns, solos, a men's quartet... My immediate family is lacking a little in musical talent but I think they could round up some of the talented people from my ward.

2) Someone could share funny stories about me that they've compiled from talking to my friends, brothers, and sisters.

3) They could serve lots and lots of chocolate - truffles, fudge, brownies, Costco's chocolate cake, etc. Oh yes, and don't forget the funeral potatoes. Chocolate and funeral potatoes, do you really need anything else? Yum!

4) Put me in a cheap pine box! It's going in the ground anyway and I'm just not a fancy, frou-frou type of person.

5) Don't spend tons of money on flowers. I want the flowers when I'm alive! Otherwise, just plant some wildflowers somewhere in my memory.



Feel free to share your best funeral ideas. Just know that I love to steal good ideas so if I die first...

2 comments:

  1. Laughter lots of laughter. Smiles and promises to get together one year later somewhere fun and talk about me. Good and Bad all the things that made me me. Oh and yep i want someone to say I bet she is laughing at us right now and darn if she didn't keep that secret to herself. Then all go do something for a disabled person, mow a lawn, take a meal sit on the porch and talk or quietly watch the fairy's ( fireflys) spin the spell of evening. Do all of this late in the day after sleeping in and enjoying some time to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you initiated the conversation with your family about funeral arrangements, not everybody can talk about it! :)
    A Pine box is not the cheap way to go, I recommend a ecoffin made of all natural sustainable materials.
    For more interesting funeral ideas, visit htt://www.funeralideas.com

    ReplyDelete