Sunday, July 5, 2009

two thoughts (separate but equal)

Two main thoughts are running through my head currently. One is on forgiveness and the other is on the role of God in this great country.

First, forgiveness.

Last week (or two weeks ago, who knows? Time just keeps flying by... but I digress...) I taught a lesson on forgiveness. One thing I learned several years ago is that when we fail to forgive because we don't think the individual that wronged us has paid sufficiently for his "crime" or because we want more restitution, we are in effect saying that Christ's atonement was not enough. When we want someone to "pay" for what they have done to us, we are telling Christ that His Atonement just doesn't cut it -- we need more.

I can't imagine actually saying that to The One who paid the ultimate price. His sacrifice was unimaginable. I try hard to remember that so that I can be quicker to forgive or so that I can forgive even when the person doesn't apologize or appear sorry.

Second, God and America.

It makes me so sad to see so many in our country trying to push God out of it. They claim that belief should not be forced on anyone (true, I am not a believer in force). However, I do believe God had/has a profound role in this country. Our founding forefathers set this country up based on freedom of religion not freedom FROM religion. Our coins say "In God we trust". If you read the words in the last verse of The Star-Spangled Banner it says "Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserved us a nation".

I am afraid that if we are too successful in pushing God out of our town meetings, out of our government, and out of our schools, we will soon find God deserting our nation and our lives. I love this land I live in! I am grateful for my freedoms asnd for the U.S. form of government and I WANT to praise THE POWER that made it all possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment