Monday, July 20, 2009

what kind of parent am I?

What kind of parent am I?


I am the type that spends all my time trying to make myself obsolete and useless. Yes, truly, I believe my job is to ensure my kids don't NEED me anymore!

My kids think that translates to "mean parent" -- you know, the kind of parent that makes their 8-year-old do their own laundry. The kind of parent that generally refuses to ever fix her kids lunch but insists they are perfectly capable of making their own mac & cheese or quesadilla or whatever. sigh. eye rolls, more sighs.

I don't think I'd ever qualify as a "helicopter parent". I love it when my children accomplish tough things -- on their own! Some of my favorite words are "I can do it myself."

Of course, this has sometimes translated to a neighbor bringing my child home at night in the middle of winter -- BAREFOOT and with NO COAT! Oops! (I didn't say I was a great parent just that I don't hover!)

Still, my greatest joy in life would be to have my children each be able to say, "Mom, I don't NEED you but I love you and WANT you in my life!"

A gal can dream, can't she?

2 comments:

  1. Love this! Ours is only two so we have a long way to go but a girl can dream, yes.

    ReplyDelete