Friday, May 1, 2009

a person's true nature

Yesterday I finished reading "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly". It was written by a man who suffered a stroke which left him completely and permanent paralyzed. He was only able to blink his left eye. Using a letter chart and blinking, he was able to dictate the book.

Jean-Dominique Bauby (author) posed this question, "...does it take the harsh light of disaster to show a person's true nature?"

I truly believe the answer to this question is YES! I have often wondered who I am or, in other words, how would I react to severe personal trials and hardships?

My life has been quite blessed. I have not really experienced major hardships. Would I be able to endure something like paralyzation with grace? Could I overcome going blind and go on to lead a meaningful, inspiring life? What would being diagnosed with cancer do to my mental psyche and my everday behavior? If natural disaster struck Riverton, would I share my food storage?

As Jean Valjean sings in "Les Miserables", Who Am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment