Tuesday, May 12, 2009

stereotypical gender roles

I think I've always rebelled a bit against stereotypical gender roles. I am perfectly capable of mowing our yard. I do most of the snow shoveling courtesy of Kevin arranging his flight schedule to miss the major snow storns (I swear he's got better prediction powers than any weatherman). I can and have assembled many items of furniture such as cribs, desks, and bookcases. If a doorknob needs replacing, I'm your man (woman).

Is this because:
a) the world has changed and there really is no such thing as a sterotypical gender role any more?

b) I was the oldest child and had no brothers for 6 years. Therefore, my dad had me mow the lawn and go target shooting with him until my brother was old enough. (Yes, my younger sisters never had to mow the lawn).

c) I've always been sturdily built (euphimism for BIG) and am tough and strong. I can do quite a bit of heavy lifting (I'm not saying I'm stronger than any man but, still, I am stronger than some).

d) I have always been a bit of a tomboy. I prefer sports, outdoors, dirt, camping, etc... I have never liked dolls or been able to perfect the giggly girl routine.

e) I grew up playing with my cousins who are all older than me and MALE. I learned to keep up with them and do whatever they could do.

or

f) a little of all the above.


My guess is it's probably f. Still, all that being said, I never wanted to be a boy. I was happy being a girl. I don't mind "women's work". I do the dinosaur's share of the cooking and most of my husband and my laundry (the kids do their own). I enjoy being a girl, I just have always wanted the freedom to do what the boys do too! Maybe I'm independent and just don't want to have to be taken care of!

No comments:

Post a Comment