Sunday, May 17, 2009

reading

Have I mentioned how much I love to read? lol

I attribute my good grades to reading. I attribute my awesome spelling skills (I was once a champion speller) to reading. I attribute my job as a writing lab tutor at Ricks College to (you guessed it) reading! There are so many benefits to reading besides the things you learn and the pure enjoyment.

However, as much as I enjoy reading, I am afraid I have probably still taken it for granted. John Adams (2nd U.S. President) spent considerable time in France and speculated that of the 24 million residents of France at the time, probably only 500,000 could read. I also love math so I computed the percentage - 2%. Only 2% of the population was able to read!

That was probably the norm for the time. However, America's founding fathers thought it important that all people be educated. Universal education was considered an indispensable ingredient to a free society. May I never take reading for granted again!

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you...reading is GREAT. You know what else is great libraries, I always find it exciting when my kids are old enough to ask "they will really let us take any book we want?" Libraries are not like stores, I get to say yes you can take any book you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Libraries are magical places!

    ReplyDelete