Monday, May 4, 2009

nature vs. nurture

Today I'd like to join in the nature vs. nurture debate. Note I said "join in" not "add to". I am not really certain where I stand on nature vs. nurture but I think I lean towards nurture.

My sister, Jolyn, and my kids seem to be examples of the nurture side of the argument. Kevin and I both love sports. Our children love sports. Jolyn and her husband love music and their children love music.

I tried to be very open-minded and let my children pick what they wanted to do as far as extra-curricular activities (if I had my way, one of them would play football). I even insisted that they take piano lessons. I have suggested acting lessons, choirs, film clubs, etc. Still, my children favor sports. Did Kevin and I somehow (maybe subconciously) let them think that's what we wanted them to do? I certainly haven't been subtle on my insistence that they take piano lessons until they can play any and every hymn in the hymnbook but that hasn't increased their love (or decreased their lack of love) for piano.

A few of Jolyn's children do take karate and gymnastics (and are quite good) but they are all really involved in orchestras and bands and choirs and marching bands. Several play multiple instruments.

Therefore, one could conclude that nurture is the dominant force since the children seem to favor what the parents prefer.

On the other hand, my children are also an argument against nurture. I absolutely LOVE to read! I have read anything and everything for as long as I can remember. It was definitely my preferred activity as a teen. My children have seen me read probably every day of their lives. I read to them as children. Yet, not a single one of them likes to read. They are not bad readers, they would just rather be outside playing soccer or playing with friends. Strike one against nurture!

What do you think? Nature or nurture?

1 comment:

  1. I am going to vote heavy on the nature with a good dose of nurture. As I hold little babies they all seem to come with a distinct temperment. My sisters 2 babies are very different. She has a hard time getting Natalie to eat any thing, she is a very quiet baby, while Allison gobbles down everything in sight and is constantly on the move. I can see parts of my children, nieces and nephews that started when they were very young, parts that have grown into whole pieces of their personality. Dylan has always chosen the library over the park. Mat loves anything that produces adrenaline, I watch him more closely than the others and try to encourage him to be safe. Yet I think Kimmie is a girly girl because somehow I really wanted here to be a girl.

    ReplyDelete