Thursday, April 30, 2009

obedience

I had some really interesting discussions today with friends regarding rules. I realized some time ago that I am basically a rule-abiding person. I have never been much of a rule-breaker. I value the order that rules and laws bring.

That does NOT mean I believe all rules or laws should be followed blindly. I look at who is making the rules and why they are being made. If it is a rule I cannot live by, I generally just choose not to play.

For example, my family moved to Cody before I entered 3rd grade. I was a very shy child and barely managed to make one friend (let's call her Sara). I was so grateful at first just to have a friend but Sara's friendship came with "rules". I was not allowed to play with anyone else. However, if Sara felt like playing with someone else, she would leave me by myself and go off. After a time, I decided I could not live with Sara's friendship "rules" and I made a new friend. It destroyed my friendship with Sara.

I think that sums of my rules philosophy: either play by the rules or choose not to play.

Regardless, I truly enjoyed the discussion. I love debating opinions. It causes me to ponder things from differing viewpoints and helps me to clarify what I truly believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment