Saturday, May 9, 2009

Brakston's phone call

How can I be eagerly anticipating an event and dreading it at the same time?

I get to talk to Brakston tomorrow for my Mother's Day phone call. I am happy about that. People always tell me it's the best phone call in the world. So, why am I dreading it?

1) I did get to talk to him at the airport 6 weeks ago and what I learned then is that it made me miss him so much more. I had a very hard time for several days after the call. I am not looking forward to going through that again.

2) It will be the last time I get to talk to him for the next 7 1/2 months. That is too long to even begin contemplating so I already don't want the phone call to be over because then it's a long time until the next one.

3) Brakston's mission president has a 30-minute time limit which is way too short! I am dying at the thought of all 6 of us trying to fit our conversations into one 30-minute phone call. I seriously considered telling everyone else that it is Mother's Day (MY day) and they could each have 1 minute and I get the remaining 25. However, I can't do that to the rest of my family. Lately, Alec has been talking almost non-stop about how much he loves his brother. I know McKayla is really missing him and needs to be able to talk to him, and of course, Kevin doesn't get a Father's Day call.

All of that said, I would not miss my phone call for the world! I will talk to Brakston and he will probably make me laugh (which I dearly miss). Then, I will hang up and cry. Oh well. At least I've got my list ready. I've been listing what to talk about for a week or two so I don't forget anything important.

4 comments:

  1. How did the phone call go? Was everyone able to talk to him within your 30 minute allotment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is not alot of time. I think an hour is good. When my sister talked to her son at christmas is was like 4 or 5 hours that is just to long and hard for everyone. How did it go?
    bye,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. The call went well. We actually talked longer than the 30 minutes. Brakston said the other missionaries in his district said they all talk as long as they want. His comp talked for 1 1/2 hours so we went a little over an hour. That was good.

    I was geared up not to be too excited about the phone call so I was okay afterwards.

    ReplyDelete