Wednesday, May 20, 2009

vultures

I sometimes think of my husband and children as vultures (not a nice way to think, I know). If they are home when I return from shopping, they pounce. Things I buy are gone before I can unbag and put them away.

For example, Brakston requested that I put chapstick in his next missionary care package. He is in the land of heat and sun (Arizona) and is drying up. So, on the latest trip to WalMart I bought not one but two 3-packs of Chapstick with sunscreen. My intention was to put one in storage and send one to Brakston. Within hours (before I could assemble the care package) both 3-packs had been opened and distributed leaving one tiny tube for Brakston. Nothing says "I love you" like one measly chapstick.

If I buy chocolate and don't hide it, it is gone within minutes. Oh heck,I don't even have to buy it. I was given a large Symphony bar for Mother's Day. I can make chocolate last for a while (even confessed chocoholic that I am) so I hadn't even opened the chocolate bar yet. My daughter asked last night if she could have a piece. I was thinking she'd take a square so I agreed. Within 2 minutes all the vultures had appeared and I was being asked if I wanted the last couple of squares. Yes, sadly, the chocolate was all but gone and I was being offered the remnants of my own Mother's Day gift.

It even works for fruit. If I purchase a bag of apricots, they will be gone before I can get them in the fridge. A week ago I purchased 3 flats of strawberries thinking I'd let the vultures eat one and I'd freeze the other two. Sadly, I did not get to them quickly enough. There is maybe 3/4 of a flat in my freezer today.

Some houses have signs that say "Beware of dog". My house sign should say "Beware of vultures".

--scrappinsoccermama is going to run to WalMart again for more chapstick and some chocolate. If I go now, I can have it all safely hidden before the vultures return. Hopefully, their sense of smell is not as great as their eyesight. lol

4 comments:

  1. We have squirels at my house. I bring the bounty home and put it away. Three days later I go to use it and all that is left is crumbs, an empty box in the cupboard is not a unusual. I never see anyone taking it so it must be the squirels.
    Chritine

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way do you have a parachute (the kind kids hold onto and play with)? I remember someone saying they have one but, I can't remember who.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like our house. Nothing is safe!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is so funny! vultures! squirels! i need to find an animal that describes my family.

    ReplyDelete