Wednesday, May 27, 2009

defining characteristics

Yesterday I finished reading "The Camel Bookmobile" for book club. At one point a father is musing about his son. He talks about how his son has scars of defiance so he disdains authority. The father hopes this wouldn't become his defining trait.

This made me ponder whether most people have defining traits or whether they are an amalgam of characteristics. Can one trait be so dominant that it really defines who you are or becomes what you are known for?

I believe Christ's defining characteristic is love. All that he did, he did out of love. All his miracles were performed out of love. Even his cleansing of the temple was an act of love.

I tried to think of defining characteristics of my chidren. Brakston and Shanley are both happy-go-lucky. (They are both easy going and just want to have fun!) McKayla's defining trait might be her desire to never make mistakes. She's not a perfectionist, she just hates to be wrong. Alec's defining characteristic is love. Chandler is defined by his sensitivity.

However, at the same time, I am reluctant to even call them defining characteristics because there is so much more to each child than that one thing. Also, shouldn't a defining characteristic be permanent. I think these characteristics will change over time (except for Alec's propensity to love).

I have also determined it is much harder to define myself in terms of one trait. I can't even sum myself up in five traits or ten. I am not sure I see a dominant characteristic in myself but that could just be because it is so difficult to see ourselves clearly. I often wish I could see myself as others see me. (Maybe I could then get a better handle on my annoying traits.)

There were many others for whom I could not pinpoint a defining characteristic but others for whom I could see a dominant trait easily. But then, maybe that dominant trait is only when dealing with me. Maybe they are a different trait entirely to someone else.

Anyway, it's been interesting pondering defining traits.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting post, made me think what my defining trait is, but like you it is hard to see myself clearly. When I think of you I would say you defining trait is that you can do anything you decide to do, or maybe that you are very good at being good (ie following the rules). Then again this is only my perspective and maybe not who you really are at all. I wonder if your sisters or husband or children would say something completely different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine, I think your's might be resilience. Although it could also be sensitivity or caring. Take your pick! They are all great qualities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would be fun to talk about on a Thursday when we are all together. So we can get different views from everyone about are difining traits. I would be intrested to see how others view me.
    karen

    ReplyDelete