Sunday, May 3, 2009

In His image

In the Bible (Genesis 1:26) we read "...Let us make man in our own image, after our likeness...".

I have always read this to mean we have bodies of flesh and blood just like God. We have noses and knees and fingers just like God. We are both recognizably human.

However, I had a new thought today (not new in the no-one-has-ever-thought-of-it-before sort of way but new in the I-hadn't-thought-about-it-much-before sort of way). Image also refers to likeness in temperament, in reasoning abilities, in love.

For example, I get mad when my children don't obey my rules. God gets mad when we don't obey His rules/commands. Then, I want justice (i.e. you missed curfew, your curfew is earlier next time). God also demands justice. At times I am merciful and understanding, God is always merciful and understanding. I have the capacity to love others and be kind to everyone. God is loving and kind. I have the ability to reason and to think. God is all-knowing.

In other words, I am created in God's image not just in the physical sense but in the spiritual, mental, social, etc senses as well. God is just far more perfect in all senses!

This helps me relate to Heavenly Father in a more personal way.

No comments:

Post a Comment