Tuesday, March 30, 2010

where there's a will

I am competitive. Sometimes I am too competitive. I have tried toning it down and keeping it under control. I try not to be ultra-competitive but I know I still need more work.

I am afraid that at least most of my children have inherited this particular characteristic. (or is it a learned behavior?)

Every once in a while, though, that comptetive gene pays off!

Last week Chandler had a sheet of multiplication tables. He was being timed to see how fast he could complete them. I believe the standard was that if you could complete them in less than 5 minutes, you earned a bronze medal. If you could do it in less that 4 minutes, you earned a silver medal. If you could do it in less than 3 minutes, you earned a gold medal.

Chandler was taking longer than 6 1/2 minutes and usually getting at least 4 or 5 of the problems wrong. He was frustrated and a little whiny. I gave him a nice pep talk and encouraged him to keep practicing.

The next thing I knew, the competitive genes had kicked in and he was practicing like a madman. He had me time him. He had Shanley time him. He had McKayla time him. He had Kevin time him. He was making extra copies of his practice sheets and practicing like crazy.

Only 5 days from his 6 1/2 minute score, he took the test at school. AMAZING! He got them 100% correct in 2 minutes and 21 seconds!

Wow! He shaved over 4 minutes off his time.

Sometimes competition can be a good thing. Now if I could mine only for good!

1 comment: