Wednesday, March 24, 2010

challenge

When I was setting my goals for the coming year I wanted a great fitness challenge but couldn't come up with one. I have pondered it many times over the past 3 months and still haven't come up with anything.

I have run a marathon before and I want something new so another marathon is out.

I have toyed with the idea of a triathlon for several years. I have discussed it with my friend, Jen, who has done a few. I have helped McKayla do a couple. However, a tri doesn't seem right for me because I don't like to swim. I mean, I really hate putting my face in the water. Jen has tried to convince me I could just do the back stroke and I probably could do that, but that brings me to my next problem. I don't really like to bike either. My mind likes the idea of biking. My legs like the actually biking. My tush DETESTS it!

I have read a few books on climbing Mount Everest and it sounds challenging and fascinating. FOR OTHER PEOPLE. I cannot see myself taking such a risk. Even scaling smaller mountains just doesn't seem to be my thing.

I have requested information on the Susan G. Komen 3-Day Walk for the Cure. It is 60 miles in 3 days. I love the idea of that but I am a little scared off by the fund-raising aspect. The average person raises $3000 from supporters. I am leery of asking people for money.

So, what is my thing? What can I challenge myself with? What would bring the sense of accomplishment that running a marathon did bring to me?

Any suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. I let Rosie talk me into Tour de Cure. I have to raise $150. I could never even sell GS cookies because I felt bad asking people to buy for me. But I am excited about the fitness challenge aspect (although now you have me concerned about my butt)¡

    ReplyDelete
  2. chris is doing cure de cure. he had somethign posted on fb and friends have given him $$ for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "For Other People" hee hee i love that! ya i wish i knew how to do something fitness wise like all the lawtons i know. you should look into the triatholon in Galeveston, you can pick whatever distance you want and around here its a family affair every year. You could even organize a team so you only have to run. Maybe holly could bike and Donnette could swim? um i will cheer for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a chance of me swimming. I'm just like Marvelle in that I don't like my face in the water. I do need a fitness challenge - just not swimming!

    ReplyDelete