Thursday, March 18, 2010

old dogs and new tricks

Last night was Alec's first high school track meet. He had an absolute blast!

He ran the 100m and the 800m. I know. One's a sprint and one's a distance run - what IS he doing?

The answer is "pretty much whatever he wants."

Here he is (in the back on the left wearing a purple tee and warm-ups) starting his 800m. Here he is finishing his 800m. Gotta love his form! He is all about technique. lol

I love that no matter how long it takes him to run and regardless of the fact that he finished a good 200m behind the last runner, he thinks he won! He comes across the finish line giving it all he's got and getting cheered by EVERYONE in attendance, and he thinks he is king of the world! Yes, he even came home and told Kevin that he'd won!

I spent the entire evening (all 4 1/2 hours hours worth) being a timer for lane 2. I have never done that before (thus the new trick title) but found it was fairly simple. (1) Use your index finger not your thumb to start and stop the watch. (2) Start with the smoke from the gun and not the sound. Got it. I did get some time off (for good behavior, of course) from stopwatch duty during the distance races when I had the all-important (snicker, snicker) job of holding the tape for the runner's chute so we could keep the runners in the order of their finish.

I think I managed to complete my duties without screwing up so I guess it was a successful evening for Alec and me!

1 comment:

  1. you looked like you have been doing it for years!great job. Nathan had fun at the meet.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete