Saturday, March 6, 2010

tenths

Last night I took a couple children and my parents to a gymnastics meet. The Utes won by over half a point. My mom remarked that they didn't win by much. I disagreed. In gymnastics, half a point is HUGE. My mom then said, "I guess that's true. Just look how many of the recent Olympic events were decided by tenths or even hundredths."

It's so true. Such a small margin as a couple hundredths can be the difference between going home with a medal or just going home.

In our church, we donate a tenth of our income. That tenth could be the difference between a temple recommend or being shut out from the blessings of temple attendance.

How many other times do tenths count? Missing a bus or train by a few seconds? Not being involved in an accident because you were running late? The game-winning basket shot a few tenths of a second before the game clock expires and the buzzer sounds? Those few extra seconds it takes to hug your children/husband before they walk out the door?

What does a tenth mean to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment