Friday, March 26, 2010

comfort food?

This has not been a banner week for me as a mother.

Where do I even start? Let's see. First, I had something going every single night from when the kids came home from school until late. Thus, I couldn't help kids with homework until the early morning before school. Second, I lost Brakston's camera memory card with ALL of his pictures from his mission thus far (after a frantic search, rooting through garbage, and a very sleepless night I am happy to report it was found - on the floor in front of the fish tank?!?). Third, I got so busy doing homework before school I forgot to send sack lunches with my kids to school. Fourth, I forgot it was Wednesday and didn't email Brakston. (He's been gone 61 weeks and it's the first week I've missed but I still feel rotten and want to cry every time I think about not writing him!) Then, the clincher! Last night McKayla went to a soccer team party. It was supposed to go until 11:00 pm or so (no school today). I have been running on 5 hours of sleep per night so I was exhausted. I told her there was no way I could stay awake but I would put both the home phone and my cell phone by the bed so she could call when the party was over and I would wake up and come get her. Instead, she wakes me up at 11:45 pm upset because she'd been trying to call and neither phone was working so she'd had to find another parent to bring her home. (Yes, we have problem phones and I didn't think to double-check them before I fell asleep).

I am not beating myself up too badly because we all have bad weeks. However, I did feel the need for some "comfort food". Mind you, it wasn't for me to eat since I'm trying to lose weight and don't need to feel guilty about anything else this week! It wasn't even a traditional "comfort food" for my children. Instead, it was food meant to make me feel better about my mothering skills. Food intended to prove that I am a good mom and I do care about my children.

Hence, strawberry crepes!

Isn't it marvelous what the right food can do for you?

(Now if only I was allowing myself chocolate - I could really use a piece right now!)

2 comments: