Thursday, September 3, 2009

Shanley's Birthday

It is almost impossible to believe but today was Shanley's 12th birthday! I remember so clearly morning sickness, cravings, and labor and now here we are 12 years later...

Her desire was to go to the temple to do baptisms for the dead. Alec, Shanley, and I left the house at 5 am. It was a wonderful start to the day. It was still dark when we left the temple (about 5:50 am) thus the terrible picture quality.



One of our family traditions is that the birthday child gets to pick the meals. Shanley chose sticky buns for breakfast and Little Caesar's pizza for dinner.

Between school, soccer practices, special needs mutual, etc there wasn't a lot of "birthday time". The highlight of Shanley's evening was getting to play volleyball on the Young Women team!

Yes, Shanley is now in Young Women. She has really waited for this day! For the last month, all we've heard for every activity is "can't I come? I'm almost 12."

Funny how things come full circle. I was the YW President of this ward when I gave birth to both McKayla and Shanley. Now they are both in YW and I am the 1st Counselor. I am so very glad I get to be in YW with both of my girls! I got to go to camp the last 2 years with McKayla since I was the camp director but knew I'd get released this year so I figured I wouldn't have the chance to go to camp with Shanley. Now I will get to!

Fun things about Shanley:
1) She has always been a big-time daddy's girl
2) She would share the shirt off her back with anyone
3) She loves fruits and vegetables
4) She literally has dozens of "best" friends
5) She is my only dark-haired child but inside she's a true "blonde"

To know Shanley is to love her!

No comments:

Post a Comment