Sunday, September 6, 2009

Craig and 30th birthdays

Yesterday would have been my brother's, Craig, 30th birthday if he had not been killed by an impaired driver almost 19 years ago.

As I thought of Craig and of 30th birthdays, I thought of my own 30th birthday. It was NOT a good one for me. I really struggled with turning 30. It sounded so old to me. I loved being in my 20's. For one thing, at age 20 I had accomplished quite a bit and still had a whole lifetime ahead of me. Turning 30 somehow made that "whole lifetime" seem so much shorter. For another thing, I was the YW President at the time and as long as I was in my 20's, I didn't feel far removed from "my girls". However, turning 30 made me seem a whole generation away from them.

I think now that I should have been celebrating all the joyful moments I had a chance to experience. I know Craig is happy where he's at and doing what he's doing but we, as a family, were cheated out of enjoying some wonderful moments with him. I, in contrast, had the opportunity by the age of 30 to taste the sweetness of things like:

*graduating from high school
*attending and graduating from college
*getting married
*obtaining my first professional job and feeling the satisfaction of achievement and success in the workplace
*experiencing the thrill of airplane travel (yes, I get a rush when the plane leaves the ground)
*giving birth to three of my children
*experiencing the miracle of my children's first words and first steps
*running a marathon (wow! that was a sweet feeling of success and accomplishment!)
*buying our first home

I don't fear death, but I do hope that if God grants me a 60th birthday here on earth that I won't bemoan my age but will be grateful for the joys I had the opportinity to experience.

And Craig, you are always loved and still thought of. Happy Birthday, little bro!

1 comment:

  1. I turned 30 in December and there is just something about the number changing from a 2 to a 3. Like you are REALLY an adult when it hits the 3.

    Craig and Ben are the only cousins I had my own age. I will always remember Craig as the mastermind behind our little adventures. With his big, contagious grin, he would always come up with some new game to play and we would just tear off after him. What a cool kid. He definitely would have turned 30 in style.

    ReplyDelete