Wednesday, September 23, 2009

3 truths and a lie

This week I am running a contest. For four days (Monday through Thursday) I will post stories about my life. Three of them will be true and one will be a lie. On Friday you can begin guessing which story is the fabrication. All guesses must be posted by midnight on Saturday. One guess per person. There will be small prizes for every correct answer. Also, everyone who answers correctly will have their name entered in a drawing for the grand prize. The winner will be announced on Sunday, September 27. So, put on your detective cap and enjoy the stories!


I think I have always loved motorcycles! I first learned to ride one when I was about 12 years old at our huge family reunion in Island Park, Idaho. I learned on an old manual motorcylce (one you had to shift gears using your toe - one up, two down, etc). I thought I was a pretty good driver and had this mastered.

My sophomore year of college I was friends with a guy named Gary Gray (really cute - looked like Andrew McCarthy in Pretty in Pink but I digress...) Gary bought a motorcycle and I loved to go riding with him. I'd sit behind him, wrap my arms around his waist and we'd be off. It was so much fun!

So, when Gary offered to let me drive one day, of course I jumped at the chance! This time he sat behind me, wrapped his arms around my waist, and we were off! It was great too until I found myself on an unfamiliar trail with a 4" deep rut barely wider than the tire.

I knew if I caught the edge of that rut, we'd crash or be thrown. I tried my best to stay inside the center of the rut and I managed for a little while but then, sure enough, I hit the edge and down we went. I had slowed my speed way down so we just tipped over and got pretty scraped up but nothing serious. The bike, on the other hand, looked pretty bad. It had still looked all shiny and new and I had just done a number on the paint job.

Luckily for me, I still had a few hundred dollars in my savings account and could pay for repairs. Even luckier, Gary forgave me and we remained good friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment