Thursday, May 20, 2010

perspective

I've been doing quite a bit of pondering this week as to why it is so hard to see ourselves and our children clearly.

It seems like parents fall into two categories:
1) those that think their children are perfect and really good at everything
or
2) those that don't give their children enough credit

I am sure I have been guilty of being in both categories at various times (just not at the same time). I started thinking of this after being at a lunch where two moms were complaining about their sons not making the high school baseball team. They were sure "politics" had come into play.

Now a disclaimer: I have never seen either boy play and even if I had I wouldn't have had a clue about their talent/skill level. Both might be really awesome players.

However, I had to wonder if the mothers' love for their sons clouded their judgment - maybe made them a little prejudiced as to their abilities. I wondered how often I do this. I'm sure I do. On the other hand, I was also accused this week of undervaluing McKayla's abilities.

I don't know how a parent can really take a clear, objective look at their child whom they love so much and want so much for. For that matter, I don't even know how to evaluate myself clearly. In what ways do I delude myself?

Perspective is a tricky business.

1 comment:

  1. As a teacher, I see so many parents who always want to blame their child's misbehavior/failures on teachers or other students. It drives me crazy and fails to teach the child to take responsibility for his actions. I think I will probably be on the opposite end of the spectrum and tend to be harder on my kids to overcompensate. But it is true...you love your kids so much and know the sweetness of their hearts that it is hard to see them objectively.

    ReplyDelete