Tuesday, May 18, 2010

decisions made

Sometimes it is just mind-boggling to sit and try to imagine my life if I had done things differently. Every decision, big or small, led me to where I am right now. Some choices I really thought about and pondered. Others seemed inconsequential or were made almost unconciously.

I wanted to serve a mission for my church. I planned to serve one. I had actually gone as far as talking to the head of the BYU Accounting Program to make sure I could leave, serve a mission, then be re-admitted to the accounting program right where I'd left off. Then, I decided to marry Kevin and further, to marry him 6 months prior to being old enough to serve a mission.

It's easy to see some of the ramifications of that decision. Obviously, if I had served a mission, I would not be married to Kevin. I would not have a son who is currently on a mission. I wouldn't have free travel so I probably wouldn't fly anywhere. The list goes on and on.

I wonder about other choices - the decision to have a 5th child (though both Kevin and I were feeling overwhelmed with our other children at the time), the decision to live in Utah (although Kevin and I both swore we would never stay here), the decision to allow Brakston to try out for a competitive soccer team (boy, has that taken us down a soccer-filled life!), the decision to buy the very first home we looked at (who does that anyway? but we're still in it), and on and on and on.

I can't pinpoint all of the twists and turns my life has taken due to my choices but I can say that I am happy with my life and don't think I'd want to change it!

Who can ask for more?

2 comments:

  1. how about your decision to go to jazzercise?
    i have to say this isnt the life i thought id have but i wouldnt change it for anything!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting post. I think about that a lot, too. Like, what if I hadn't called off my engagement to Elijah? I wouldn't have my sassy Ellie and sweet Jack!

    ReplyDelete