Thursday, July 1, 2010

starting to freak out!

I am running a half-marathon next week and I am beginning to feel the onset of panic!

One, I've been running very slowly. I don't know why I can't seem to pick up the pace but my grandma could probably walk faster than I can run. I am already feeling very embarrassed about finishing the race dead last. I keep telling myself the important thing is that I finish but that's not helping much.

Two, I ran my last "long" run on Tuesday. I did 11.3 miles and now I can barely move. Yep. I ran 9.1 miles previously and felt fine. Now I run a couple more and my left knee hurt, both hip flexors hurt, and my right calf hurt. And all of that was while I was still running. Then, I tried to keep moving and stretching after the long run but still woke the next morning unable to go down stairs with holding my breath. I am still stiff and sore today. Yikes!

Three, I drove the race course yesterday. The website describes it as rolling hills. I describe it as a never-ending series of short but steep ups and downs. The kind of hills that look like they'll leave me winded getting up them and hurting going down.

Right about now I am seriously beginning to wonder "What the freak was I thinking when I signed up for this race?!?"

1 comment:

  1. Just look at all the training you have done, that you may not have done if you didn't sign up. You need credit for that! you will do great and there is nothing wrong with walking some of it. Good Luck!!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete