Sunday, July 11, 2010

We DID it!

Woohoo! McKayla and I both finished the Canyon to Canyon Half-Marathon yesterday (and lived to tell about it!) In fact, McKayla did more than finish - she took FIRST place in her division. She doesn't think that's a big deal because she was the only one in her division (14 and under). However, I checked it out. If you put her in the 15-19 year old division, she still would have come in first and if you added the 20-24 year old division she would have dropped to 2nd beaten only by one 21-year-old by a measly 4 seconds! I'd say McKayla did pretty darn good! I am very proud of her! Here's her medal for first!


I'd have to say that it was one really tough run! McKayla and I were both prepared for the distance but not for the endless, steep hills! I felt a little better about it when the woman I ran next to said this is her 10th half-marathon in the past 8 months and by far her hardest! Everyone I talked to said their time was about 20-25 minutes slower than their usual/expected time so I felt pretty good about my finish time. It was actually better than expected!

Of course, I can hardly move today! Both McKayla and I are stiff and sore and achy but at least feeling like we accomplished something! Yea us!

However, in the future I vow not to run a race on the day after I return from camping, hiking, and eating too much camp (junk) food! Not the best way to prepare. A huge thanks, however, to some of the greatest friends a girl can have! On Friday night, Karen and Jill brought me over some pasta and a good luck card. I feel blessed to have such terrific, thoughtful friends!

I'm sure it helped me run faster!

1 comment:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!!! All the hard work paid off.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete