Saturday, July 3, 2010

my apology to mothers

Oops! Sometimes I just blurt things out without thinking. My mouth runs and then my brain follows.

I've been trying to have my children eat healthier. They are pretty good eaters - they ABSOLUTELY love all kinds of fruit. I have often joked that other people make frequent trips to the grocery store to get milk or bread. I have to keep going back to get more fruit. However, my children are also big fans of junk food!

A couple years ago I made the switch to wheat bread in our home. My kids are still whining about the loss of white bread. Then, a couple months ago I was staying with my sister Dawnette's kids. She showed me the pancake recipe she uses. It's from the Disney cookbook and called Perfect Pancake Mix. I made it for her children and I really liked it myself (and I normally hate pancakes). Besides me actually liking it, it appears much healthier than the normal pancake. The ingredients include whole wheat flour, cornmeal, 7-grain cereal, and wheat germ. Good, right?

So, I came home and made the pancake mix and have been using it ever since. My kids now have something new to whine about. They miss their white, fluffy pancakes.

I made the pancakes the other morning. Chandler was excited about having pancakes until he realized which version he was getting. He said, "Oh, it's those wheat things." I told him, "They're good for you." He said, "Why can't we have the white ones?" And here's where I blurt, "Because I love you so much that I want you to eat healthy so you can live a long, long time. Only mothers who don't love their children feed them white pancakes."

OOPS!

See what I mean?

Mothers out there who feed your children nice fluffy, white pancakes: I sincerely apologize! I didn't mean it and I don't really believe it!

Now, I'll continue to feed my children these pancakes they hate with about a gallon of thick, buttery, sugary syrup to wash them down with because I "love them so much". (heehee!)


Perfect Pancake Mix(makes 7 1/2 C mix)
3 C flour
2 C whole wheat flour
1 C 7-whole grain cereal
1 C cornmeal
4 T wheat germ
3 t baking soda
4 1/2 t baking powder
1 1/2 t salt
1 T sugar

To mix, add 1/2 C mix to 1/2 C milk and 1 egg.

1 comment:

  1. haha. i tell kolby that i have to go to the gym so that i won't die and i'll be able to spend more time with him. does that mean i have to stop eating junk food too? dang.

    ReplyDelete