Friday, July 16, 2010

baking vs. cooking

I am a COMPLETELY left-brained person! I function on logic and lack artistic expression. I love math because it has one correct answer (usually). I think I lack a bit of imagination and creativity.

I believe that is why I love to bake but don't consider myself a great cook.

Baking is all about exact formulas. You precisely follow a recipe so that you get the correct chemical reaction. You want your cakes to rise and be light and airy. You want your brownies to be rich and dense. All of that takes specific combinations of ingredients.

Cooking, on the other hand, is all about spices and seasoning and mixing flavors and textures. I believe that to be a really good cook, you must be willing to experiment. You must instinctly know that garlic and red pepper flakes are just what a certain dish needs to be truly delectable.

I don't like to experiment. I like to follow a recipe and I like to follow it with precision. I rarely deviate from the listed ingredients.

On the other hand, with my ongoing weight battle, maybe I just like to bake because you get such yummy goodies!

No comments:

Post a Comment