Sunday, June 21, 2009

youth conference

The Book of Mormon youth conference was so AMAZING that I really wanted to post yesterday but I was absolutely TOO exhausted! I am still exhausted today and badly in need of a nap so it might take a while for me to post everything.

One experience we had actually involved Alec who was not one of our "assigned sons and daughters". Thursday night (the first night) they had a re-enactment of Noah's court including his high priests and Abinadi. They spoke and acted it out and then using a slight-of-hand type maneuver they bound Abinadi to stakes and burned him. Yes, there was an actual bonfire. Of course, everyone knew that they were burning a dummy made to look exactly like the man who had played the role of Abinadi. Well, everyone knew except Alec. He was quite upset so his "dad" took him close to the fire to show him that Abinadi was not real. Alec was still very upset and kept saying "We have to help him. We have to save him." When his "dad" told him they couldn't save him Alec said, "Then we need to pray for him."

I am so glad his "dad" shared that experience with Kevin and I. Once more I am reminded that Alec is really a spiritual being trapped inside an imperfect mind. It also reminded me that that is what that experience should have been like for all of us - and not just a "Wow, that dummy looks pretty realistic" type of experience.

1 comment:

  1. Marvelle -- thank you for sharing that experience. It's amazing the tugs on the heart strings and the glimpses we get into the depths of spirituality and understanding that aren't readily apparent. I'm getting ready to post about Youth Conference -- it was amazing and yours was amazing too.

    ReplyDelete