Tuesday, June 9, 2009

three truths and a lie, story 2

This is part 2 of the four-part contest series entitled 3 truths and a lie. After I post on Friday, you'll be allowed to guess which story is the lie. No guessing until after I post on Friday.

I grew up in Cody, WY where most of the population was not LDS (unlike Utah) and the main teenage activity was parties involving alcohol. I was not a drinker so my main entertainment came in the form of reading the community newspaper each week to see which of my classmates had been busted the previous weekend for MIP (minor-in-possession of alcohol).

For a brief time during my junior year I dated a senior named Eric. Eric was not LDS and did drink but never around me (I was funny that way).

One Friday night Mark (Eric's friend), Eric, and I decided to head out to the reservoir just outside of town. We didn't have much of a plan - hang out, talk, listen to music...

We had just made the turn onto the dirt road to the reservoir when we spotted FIVE cars behind us. They stopped and closed the gate that led back to the main highway. One of the cars remained parked at the gate. We realized they must be police cars which meant there was a party going on at the reservoir. The cops were headed out to bust it!

I wasn't worried. We weren't at the party and had not been drinking. However, Mark and Eric got really nervous and sped up, racing far ahead of the police cars. I was about to ask why when Mark started throwing beer cans out the car window. I'd had no idea there was any alcohol in the vehicle.

Now I was worried! I could just see my classmates' faces when they read that I had been busted for MIP. Not to mention, I was afraid my dad would not bail me out but would leave me in jail overnight.

After Mark ditched all the beer, we hurried and pulled into the only home out there. We parked in the driveway, extinguished the lights and ducked down hoping to make it appear that the car belonged there. Soon, the police cars approached. My heart beat insanely fast then slowed as the cars raced past continuing on out to the reservoir.

We sat parked in that driveway for over an hour waiting for the party to be busted up and everyone to be cleared out of the reservoir. It was absolutely silent in the car since I refused to speak to either of the guys. The tension was thicker than mud. When we were sure everyone was gone and the gate was reopened, we headed back home.

That was my last date with Eric but the good news was that my name did not appear in the newspaper that week or any other!

No comments:

Post a Comment