Sunday, June 28, 2009

governor Sanford

The scandal that unfolded this week involving the South Carolina governor has really made me think. It makes me sad. He seems like a nice guy. His wife seems like a nice woman. I'm sure his kids are nice too. Still, I guess it goes to show that we're all human and we all make mistakes. Yes, his mistake was a BIG one but it would be so much easier for he and his wife to deal with it if they could do so in private. Instead, the story has been headlines in every possible media outlet. I'm sure it has been fodder for all late-night talk show comedians. I can't imagine what that kind of public scrutiny would do to a family who is already struggling.

Don't get me wrong. I think he should be removed from office. When Bill Clinton had an affair, I thought he should be removed from office. I want to be able to trust the people who are running my country or state or whatever. It's not just a moral issue. Cheating on a spouse makes the elected official very vulnerable to blackmail or extortion. Elected officials carry heavy responsibilities to the public and thus, need to remain above reproach.

Still, if I could arrange it, he'd be quietly and efficiently removed from office with little fanfare. Then he and his family would be granted the peace, privacy, and space necessary to try to salvage and repair their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment