Thursday, June 4, 2009

This morning I was disheartened to read of the Boy Scouts of America's new policy regarding overweight leaders. As of next January, overweight leaders will not be allowed to participate in high adventure activities that take them more than 30 minutes from transport to hospitals.

On the one hand, I understand that being overweight carries higher risk of heart attacks and other health problems.

On the other hand, having battled my weight since my early teens, I also know that being overweight does not always mean you are out of shape.

On any BMI chart I would be considered obese. However, I exercise faithfully at least 5 times a week doing 1 hour of high intensity with weight training aerobics. I have actually run a marathon (the full 26.2 miles) while in this "obese" category. My heart rate and blood pressure are both great!

So, this new policy seems a bit prejudicial to me. After all, I know skinny people who can't walk up a hill without panting for breath and needing to stop and rest.

I think a better ruling would have leaders taking stress tests (you know, the treadmill runs) and their doctors determining if they are fit enough to participate or not. If your doctor signs off on your fitness level, then you're good to go hike, bike, rapell, canoe or whatever!

No comments:

Post a Comment