Saturday, June 27, 2009

the death of a true icon

With the recent spate of deaths of notable Americans - Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett, and Michael Jackson - it seems that all the talk, twittering, blogging, and media attention are focused on their lives and the impact they made on American culture (in some cases, world culture). They truly did make an impact on late night television, hairstyles, pop culture, pop music, dancing, etc...

I guess I'll jump on the bandwagon and do my own tribute (in my own fashion). However, my tribute would be to the American who died 165 years ago today - the Prophet Joseph Smith. He is a man who is worthy of adoration. He is my hero and has influenced my personal life and culture more than any other person who has lived on this earth except the Savior himself. In fact, John Taylor said the following:

"Joseph Smith, the Prophet and Seer of the Lord, has done more, save Jesus only, for the salvation of men in this world, than any other man that ever lived in it. In the short space of twenty years, he has brought forth the Book of Mormon, which he translated by the gift and power of God, and has been the means of publishing it on two continents; has sent the fullness of the everlasting gospel, which it contained, to the four quarters of the earth; has brought forth the revelations and commandments which compose this book of Doctrine and Covenants, and many other wise documents and instructions for the benefit of the children of men; gathered many thousands of the Latter-day Saints, founded a great city, and left a fame and name that cannot be slain. He lived great, and he died great in the eyes of God and his people; and like most of the Lord’s anointed in ancient times, has sealed his mission and his works with his own blood; and so has his brother Hyrum" (Doctrine and Covenants 135:3).

I enjoyed "Thriller" and the moonwalk as much as the next person and am sad at the passing of such a great talent, but the Michael Jacksons and Farrah Fawcetts of the world are NO Joseph Smiths. I'd like to spend my time reflecting on Joseph's life and how different my life would be without him. He is truly one of my heroes!

1 comment:

  1. awesome post. i had no idea what today was (stil dont. im too busy to look at a calendar!).
    the moonwalk is still pretty cool. i still cant do it.

    ReplyDelete