Tuesday, June 23, 2009

cousins' camp

A few years ago I started a new extended family tradition - an annual cousins' camp! For two days each summer, we get all the cousins ages 5-11 together for a 48-hour camp.

It may have been my idea but, of course, I roped my sister, Jolyn, into co-hosting. I take 24 hours and she takes them the other 24 hours. We plan the activities and coordinate the food so that we don't duplicate. This year, Jolyn and her children are out of town but my sister, Dawnette, is passing through on her way to Texas. So, I have 24 hours and then Dawnette and Tonya are doing the other 24 hours. I fully intend in another year or two to let Tonya and Melissa and Kari carry on the tradition (be forewarned!).

We started today at 2 pm. We have painted shirts (we love to do a cousins' camp shirt).

We made chocolate suckers. (Yum!)



The kids ran through the sprinklers and ate dinner. Tonight they will watch a movie and eat the snacks that Melissa provided (thanks, Melissa). Tomorrow we'll finish the shirts, go for a hike around Silver Lake, throw some Snaps, and maybe do some bubble-painting. Then it's into the capable hands of Tonya and Dawnette.

Here's a picture of this year's participants. Sitting on the railing are Tonya's boys, Ryan and Matt, followed by Todd and Melissa's daughter, Emma, and my children Chandler and Shanley. Todd and Melissa's son, Garrett, is standing followed by Dawnette's son, Carson. Dawnette's daughter, Kelsie, is seated in the chair.


(Note to Jolyn's children: We miss you guys this year and hope you're having fun with your other cousins in Missouri!)

2 comments:

  1. Hope you guys have a great time! It sounds very fun and Maggie will love it---I don't want her to be 5 though! She's taking swim lessons in a few weeks, then starts Pre-school and Dance after her birthday. I'm not ready for her to grow up:)

    ReplyDelete