Wednesday, June 10, 2009

three truths and a lie, story 3

This is part 3 of the four-part contest series entitled 3 truths and a lie. After I post on Friday, you'll be allowed to guess which story is the lie. No guessing until after I post on Friday.

My freshman year at Ricks College I took an American Heritage class during Fall Semester. The class had over 200 students in it. Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I filed into a large auditorium after lunch, sank into a padded theater seat, and listened to a professor drone on in a monotone with the lights dimmed. I scarcely stayed awake.

That is until I met Bret. We happened to sit next to each other several weeks into the semester. He was tall and blonde, so I flirted. He flirted back. We arranged to meet before the next class so we could sit together again.

We continued on like that for many more weeks. We sat next to each other, laughed, and talked. Sometimes, we didn't bother going to class. Instead, we'd head to the cafeteria for ice cream or a late lunch. We had a good time together and he seemed to like me, but he never asked me out. Of course I wondered why but he'd seemed a little shy so I chalked it up to shyness. I just knew I was wearing him down and he'd ask me out sometime soon.

Shortly after Thanksgiving (when there was only a few weeks left of school), Bret handed me an envelope - an invitation-type envelope. I thought maybe he was graduating at the end of December. I eagerly opened the envelope only to find
A WEDDING INVITATION!
More specifically, his wedding invitation - to some other girl!

I said congratulations and tried to act excited for him as I asked the details of the wedding plans all the while wondering how this girl had never come up in a single one of our conversations.

I didn't bother waiting to sit by him for the remaining weeks of the semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment