Monday, June 1, 2009

imperfections

My hike to Stewart Falls last Thursday took me to a scene of almost utter perfection. It was nature at its best. There were birds chirping, a breeze blowing gently, the sun was shining, water was roaring as it cascaded down the mountain, and the colors of the flowers and rocks and leaves were unparalleled and then I noticed...





one tiny Tootsie Roll wrapper lying on the ground.




Really, truly, in the midst of the amazing scene I spot the one tiny piece of garbage anywhere and I can't stop looking at it. My eyes were drawn to it.

I thought how our lives are either too much like this or too little. We either focus TOO much on the tiny little things that are wrong with us or we focus on them too little. If we focus too much on our faults, we get discouraged, depressed, or defeated and we fail to enjoy all that is right. If we focus too little, we don't exert the effort to change or we rationalize that we're so good in all other areas that this one particular fault/sin/habit doesn't matter.

...one tiny piece of garbage

1 comment:

  1. Imperfections come in all differnt sizes and shapes they tarnish our world. Some would say they add spice. I would say the add destraction. Our eyes are drawn to the tiny pieces of garbage that we face daily. The challenge is how much are we going to focus on fault/sin/habit or how much are we going to clean up along the way.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete