Thursday, January 13, 2011

29 Gifts

I've been reading a book called "29 Gifts: How a Month of Giving Can Change Your Life" by Cami Walker. Cami was diagnosed with MS and in the midst of complete breakdown was challenged to give a gift a day for 29 days. It changed her life and she started a 29 Gift movement which has over 13,000 participants in over 42 countries.

I'm not finished with the book but am excited about the premise so I've begun my own 29 days of giving. I hesitate to blog about it because it seems that this should be personal. I do not wish to boast or brag. However, I believe I must document my progress to be able to see any changes. I have tried to do an act of service every day for years but what often happens is I find that I quit thinking about it and then I'm scrambling trying to think if I did anything that day that could be considered an act of service. I know if I'm writing about it, I will be more mindful of my giving and on the effect on my life.

"Be mindful" is actually the first rule of the 29 Gift Challenge so I hope you will take any posts about giving in the spirit they are intended. I truly hope to experience personal growth. I would like to change my mindset to one of abundance and gratitude.

Today is my 3rd day on the challenge. The first day I was in DI and saw a bag of beads. I have a friend who loves to make jewelry so I decided to buy the beads for her. I added a pretty ribbon and delivered it to her home. Imagine how good I felt when she immedicately noticed that the bag contained some tulip-shaped beads and she exclaimed, "I have been looking for these beads for months. They are hard to find."

The second day a friend called to ask if I had any portfolio folders. I didn't but then my giving mindset kicked in and I told her, "I'm at WalMart right now. I will just pick up some folders for you." When I delivered them to her home, I refused payment for them and told her they were a gift. The cost was only slightly over $3 so it was not a big value but I did feel very happy that I was able to help make her life a little easier.

Why do I often forget how much even the simplest act of giving/service can feel so good if you do it with your heart in the right place?




If you'd like more information, check out her book or see her blog at www.29gifts.org

No comments:

Post a Comment