Friday, December 17, 2010

project of the week

Yesterday I finished this week's major project - bags of white chocolate popcorn, pretzels, and peanuts for all of the teachers at Riverton High. Ever wondered what 100 bags (plus 2 trays for the office) of popcorn looks like?

This is part of my duties as the teacher appreciation representative for PTA at RHS.

When my children were in elementary school, I never dreamed I'd be this involved in PTA. You see, I tried PYA in elementary and didn't like it. I enjoyed volunteering in the classroom instead. I felt that my time was much better spent helping with reading. I liked working with the students. I also thought the classroom was the best location for seeing how the teacher interacted with the students. I learned more about the students (my children's friends and peers). I also hoped that by volunteering in the classroom, I was sending the message to my children that education is IMPORTANT!

However, when the kids hit middle school, there is really no opportunities for classroom involvement. Also, Brakston was not very good about passing along information. I realized that if I wanted to stay informed about what was happening at the school, who the teachers are, etc., I was going to have to get involved in PTA.

Thus, this year you'll find me serving as PTA President at the middle school (more involved than I had ever planned but that is a whole separate story) and as the teacher appreciation representative at the high school. I have been involved with PTA at the secondary level for 7 or 8 years now.

I really am better informed than most parents. I get to see firsthand how the schools are operating. I feel I know what is going on as far as assemblies, programs, curriculum, technology, awards, etc. It has been very valuable to me personally and I believe it has been very helpful in my children's education.

It takes a lot of time but I feel it is an investment in my children and their education - a very worthwhile investment. And heck, only another 8 years of this and then the kids will be graduated and I can move on to other things!

No comments:

Post a Comment