Sunday, December 19, 2010

Alec's birthday

My sweet boy is 18 today! I still remember his birth so clearly. He was the easiest child to give birth to - I swear he just slipped out. He never made me sick during the pregnancy. He had the most gorgeous complexion and coloring even right after birth.

Then within an hour of his birth Kevin and I got the news that changed our lives - "your son has Down syndrome." Who could have predicted where that road has taken us?

Also, the sad news that he had pneumonia and had to stay in the hospital for 8 days. I couldn't take my baby home for Christmas.

The joys of having him roll over, sit up, and even walk ahead of predictions. The sorrows of teachers who couldn't find anything nice to say about him. The frustrations of being unable to keep track of Alec as he escaped the house and "ran away" time after time after time. The smiles he brings with his frequent hugs. The shock of being told he also has autism. The kindness of his classmates as they've asked him to dances, elected him Homecoming King, taken him to ball games, etc. The acceptance of Alec and his limitations by his siblings and their patience with him. The laughs at the funny things he says and does (writing Ashton Kutcher on the name line on his schoolwork). The weirdness of now having to go to court (against you) to petition for guardianship.

The emotions I experience in dealing with you have somehow seemed magnified - the joys are greater and the sorrows deeper. Life is never dull with you around. At times, I've thought you should count as 5 kids all by yourself. I've learned so much from you and been stretched beyond what I thought I'd be able to handle.

Alec, you are a blessing to have as a child and you bring joy to all who know you! Happy Birthday!

1 comment:

  1. Very well-written! I can't believe he is already 18. Does he still love birthday parties as much as he used to?

    ReplyDelete