Thursday, January 14, 2010

seminary

I taught seminary at WestRidge Academy yesterday. That is a private, very expensive high school that doubles as a treatment center for addicted youth. Some of the youth are court-ordered to be there while others are checked-in by their parents.

Every time I have taught at WestRidge, there has been at least one student who tugs at my heartstrings. I see how cute, personable, talented, etc they are and feel so bad that they have thrown so much away. Yesterday that boy was Dallin - a cute, friendly senior from South Jordan. He used to play soccer and lacrosse. He liked music and movies. He looks like the boy next door - the kind you'd feel safe with your daughter dating. However, he got involved with drugs and quit playing sports. He lost all outside interests. Now his only thought is whether he'll stay sober. It breaks my heart.

I'm not sure I could ever work full-time in a place like that. I would want to take too many of them home with me. I would cry over every relapse. I would try to fix all of their problems. I would think with just enough love or if I just tried hard enough or said the right thing, I could change them. While I know that's not true, I think I'd beat myself up while trying.

I still remember another boy from there who caught my interest - Mason. I can't forget how hard he was trying to put his life back together nor his determination to stay sober and change his future. I wonder how he is and if he's all right. I'll probably never know.

I believe it takes an incredible person to work with troubled youth. How do counselors, psychologists, teachers, caseworkers, etc do it?

1 comment:

  1. Not that it will make you fill better but, relapse is part of recovery, and addictions will be fought for a lifetime. My brother is sober today, each day is a battle he must win. We must protect our children because it can happen to anyone.

    ReplyDelete