Thursday, January 28, 2010

proper protocol?

What is the appropriate response when your 14-year-old daughter stays after school for some help, asks the teacher if she can use the classroom phone, the teacher tells her "No, I'm in a hurry and need to leave right now", so your daughter must walk home?

No, there are no pay phones in the school.

Yes, I am one of those "mean moms" who doesn't believe every child over the age of 5 deserves a cell phone of their own.

And yes, it was 30 degree weather.


Is the appropriate response:
a) telling your daughter the walk was good for her,
b) calling the teacher and berating her, or
c) calling the main office so the vice-principal can listen to your rant?

Nearly 17 hours later and I am still FUMING!

3 comments:

  1. how about b and c. that's just ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Sabrina--b & c. How long does it take to make a phone call--I don't blame you for being upset!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a teacher, I know I always appreciate parents coming directly to me with their concerns instead of going over my head. So, maybe talk to the teacher and get her side of it? Of course, as a teacher I also can't imagine doing something so uncaring to my student!
    BTW, I love that you don't give your kids cell phones. Most of my kids are classified as ED (economically disadvantaged) and yet they all have the latest and greatest phones and are always willing to take a suspension rather then give it up when I catch them texting during class. Ugh, don't get me started!

    ReplyDelete