Thursday, January 21, 2010

Itty Bitty SouthTowne City

I love to copy and I love things that are creative and a little bit different! Combine those two and you get last night's YM/YW Combined Activity.

The Deseret News newspaper runs a contest every year called Itty Bitty Salt Lake City. They print 20-25 pictures from items/elements found in a 20-square block area downtown. They object is to try to find/identify them all. My friend, Jill, and I have done it with our children and had fun.

Hence the copy part.

Jill and I took pictures of signs, trees, chair upholstery, vending machines, etc at SouthTowne mall. Then I cropped 20 of the photos and put them on one sheet and color copied it (enough copies for every group to have one).
I also gave each group a half-sheet number 1-20 so they could record either what the item was or the spot they found it (i.e. PacSun sign or part of the carousel horse or chair outside Dillard's).

Each group was given 1 hour to find and identify as many as possible. Two groups found 16 each! Other groups only found 8 or 9. The youth seemed to have a really good time and one YW even wants me to help her do one for the couples' day activity for the Sweethearts' school dance.

The creative part factors in because none of the youth had done anything like that before (excepting my own daughter). I love doing new things!

2 comments:

  1. how cool..yes totally stealing this too:) we had New Beginnings last night and have a temple trip coming up but next time i'm in charge...mmmm now i want your PB cookies too though.

    ReplyDelete