Monday, January 11, 2010

get out of my life!

***WARNING*** I am going to rant. My rant may be dangerous to your psyche. Do not read this rant if you are pregnant, have a heart condition, or suffer from any other serious illness or injury.


I sincerely fear that government is getting TOO big. It regulates everything! I think there must now be a law regarding every tiny aspect of life. I'll wager that a week doesn't go by that I don't violate some law or another (and I view myself as a law-abiding person). I can't keep up with all the laws whether they are passed by the state legislature or a national congress. I'd really like to see governments step back and allow the competitive marketplace to do its job.

For instance, this morning I was reading in the paper that part of the "airline passenger bill of rights" that government passed in 2009 includes a section on planes being late. The government now has the right to fine airlines if flights are consistently late.

1) They claim passengers cite on-time performance as their number one concern. Really? How many people who book flights research the on-time performance of a specific airline before purchasing their tickets? I would venture to say that price and schedule dictate most of the booking. Shouldn't a major concern be the airlines safety/maintenance record?

which brings me to my next point...

2) Is there allowances in this "bill of rights" for weather delays? How about for maintenance delays? Currently, if even the printer onboard is not working, the flight is delayed. The problem might be minor. It might not. Regardless, I love knowing that my flight will not take off until every light shows "go" and every item has been ticked off the pre-flight checklist. My safety is my first concern.

3) If passengers really are ultra-concerned with on-time performance, they can show their displeasure by utilizing other forms of transportation. That's what the free market system is all about. If you don't like a product, you find a different product elsewhere. This may not be the solution for those of us out West but back East, there are commuter trains that could be used. Or just find an airline who consistently has good on-time performance.


Regardless, I don't know why we're paying our lawmakers to write laws about airlines' performance. Let the free marketplace do its job. Maybe, for once, you lawmakers could humble yourselves enough to realize that pilots, ground control, and flight control know more about the airplanes and airline safety than you do! I fly fairly frequently and see ample evidence of airlines trying to operate in a safe, efficient, timely manner. As a pilot's wife, I can guarantee you that the ground crew, flight attendants, and pilots do not like delays in flights either. They do all they can to depart and arrive on time. So, government, butt out!

No comments:

Post a Comment