Saturday, January 2, 2010

celebrating New Year's Eve

How did you welcome the new year? Fireworks? Games? Food? Watching the ball drop in The Big Apple?

I spent mine in the Honolulu International Airport. Yep! Getting home proved to be as much of an adventure as the week spent in Oahu. Kevin and I arrived at the airport at 7:30 p.m. to find extremely long lines - what idiots want to fly home on New Year's Eve? We waited through 5 flights to Los Angeles, Seattle, Portland, Salt Lake City, and San Francisco and didn't manage to get on any of them. The last flight was seriously delayed and didn't leave until 2 a.m. We had to be back to the airport by 6 a.m. to try the next flight so it seemed like a waste to try to find a hotel.

I caught a few hours of in-and-out sleep on a carpeted window ledge (so comfortable - NOT!). Seriously, looking at the flight loads, Kevin and I thought we'd be stuck in Oahu for several days (stuck in Hawaii - how bad could that be?)

Instead, we experienced our first miracle of the new year. We were the very last two people that got on the 7 a.m. flight to Los Angeles (from there it was easy to find a flight home). As much as I loved Hawaii, I was eager to get back home and see my children! I truly consider myself lucky to have spent the first day of the new year on a flight back home to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment