Friday, January 8, 2010

Ignorance

I am completely overwhelmed by all that I don't know. I know virtually nothing about trees and plants. I can't identify most birds. I understand only the basic rudiments of weather. I know very, very little about animals. I don't have the foggiest idea how plumbing works, what makes an auto run, or how to tune a piano. And let's not even talk about really complex stuff like biochemistry, heart surgery, or marine biology.

In fact, I don't even know much about stuff I do every day. I can cook and bake but only if I have a recipe. I don't know anything about kitchen chemistry or what spices blend together nicely to create a perfectly-seasoned roast. I know nothing about programming a computer. I can plug in my hair straightener but don't know anything about voltages or how the house is wired.

I have racked my brain and can't come up with one single thing that I am an absolute expert in. I don't know everything about anything.

Is it possible to become an all-knowing expert about something?

If so, what would I want to be exceedingly proficient at?

What interests me enough to want to know every little conceivable detail about it?

What interests you?


--scrappinsoccermama is not of the belief that ignorance is bliss. Ignorance is just ignorance.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it funny how the older you get the more you realize you don't know? Sometimes I miss high school when I knew everything.

    I can't think of anything that interests me enough to become all-knowing about it. My husband is like that with running/coaching, though. He has his M.S. in Exercise Science, goes to every clinic or conference possible, is always reading books and articles, and then puts it all into practice with his team. He is almost too obsessed. I think I would rather just know a little bit about everything than everything about one thing!

    ReplyDelete