Friday, October 2, 2009

would you want to see your future?

This week I was introduced to a new TV series, Flash Forward. I didn't watch the premiere but heard so much about it that I decided to watch it online. I think I might be completely captivated!

The show begins with a worldwide blackout where everyone (except one person) in the world loses conciousness for 2+ minutes and during that time sees a vision of an event 6 months in their future.

Hmmm...I wonder what I'd see. Would it thrill me and make me excited for my future or would it make me scared and fearful? Would I be looking forward eagerly to that event or would I be anxiously engaged in trying to prevent it?

I think my history shows I would NOT want to see my future. I never tried to find my hidden Christmas presents as a child or even shake the wrapped ones because I didn't want to spoil the surprise. I begged the doctor not to tell me the babies' sex after the ultrasounds. Especially after giving birth to Alec, the doctor urged me for my next 3 pregnancies to have an amniocentesis. I refused saying "If there is something wrong, we'll deal with it when it happens." I was glad I hadn't known Alec had Down syndrome before he was born. I would have spent months worrying needlessly about heart conditions and surgeries. (Alec's heart was fine - small hole but nothing requiring oxygen pumps, surgeries, etc.)

I guess I am a live-in-the-moment kind of girl! I don't like to worry and fret about something that may or may not happen and I like surprises. Still, if it were something to look forward to, it might not be all that bad to have 6 months of anticipation!

2 comments:

  1. When I was a kid I always said if I had threee wishes, one would be to see the future. I am glad I never got my wish. I think if I would have known what the last 12 years of my life held I would have been scared out of my mind. So much better to take it one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would only want to know what i am getting for my birthday and christmas for the rest of my life. that is all the future info i need!

    ReplyDelete